Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

It is done....

Welp, the school year is officially over. The students are gone, and the hallways are empty. Today was a day of sadness and joy mixed with hugs, tears, and laughter. Jess and I shared our last moments, maybe ever, with the students we've grown so close to over the last two years.

It was a little hectic at times, with Micaiah with us. But the students absolutely love her and we were glad to have her at the school with us. At the end of the day, with about 10 minutes left, I knew the time was drawing near. I had been waiting for this moment for a long time- half in want, half in dread. When it came time for the students to file out of the classroom for the last time, I knelt down and hugged each one as they left. To each of them, I said, "Goodbye (name), I love you and I'll miss you. Thank you for being my student." It wasn't so bad for the first few, emotional yes, but I was still going strong. But when Lucy came up to get her hug, I just couldn't do it anymore. The tears came, and they came abundantly. The remaining students, and some stragglers in the hall were a little bit surprised by it. The remaining third graders who hadn't received their hugs yet were affected as well, and showed extra affection.

It was bittersweet for sure. Maybe more bitter than sweet, but either way, it's done. I'll always have a place in my heart for those kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment