Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Visit to the Diary - Part 5

"Tues. Jan. 14, 2003

Ok, I've really decided to go for the religious discharge from the Army.  I just pray it would follow through.

I don't want to be a good enough Christian.  I like that.  It means I don't want to say, "Ok, I'm here, I'll make it to heaven now." and live my life.  I want to constantly seek God's will and call for me.  Things are happening at an amazing speed.  I am getting that fire God wants me to have.  Sorry this is short, but I feel I should read my bible now and pray.

-signing off-"

This might seem like a small insignificant post, but it really wasn't for me.  First, I was determined that I should be in missions AT THAT VERY MOMENT, and that getting in at any later date would be a lack of faith.  I researched military discharges and found one, basically for pacifists who say they disagree with all things the military stands for.  To do it, I had to fill out a long application and write an essay on why my religion barred me from any form of war-type activity or institution.  It was a bit of work, but I was determined.  After I got it all written and edited, I put it in the envelope and sealed it up.  Throughout the process, there was a guy at the base named Patrick who had been sort of coaching me through the whole discharge process.  The day I sent the letter out in the mail to my commanding officer, we prayed over the envelope that God's will would be done and that it would reach its destination.  I waited for a reply... and waited.  


It never came.  I wondered why, but I was too afraid to call the home office and ask about it.  The guys there weren't exactly friendly, and (being the new 'pacifist' that I was) I didn't really want to be ridiculed or have any sort of conflict with them verbally.  I prayed about the decision to call it quits on the Army quite a bit.  After a while, I decided that I had made a mistake- I found a way to stay in the military and still be in full time missions with YWAM.  This, by they way, was not God's will for me- more details in a later entry.


When my DTS ended, I went home and checked in with my National Guard Armory.  I was expecting a change in their attitude toward me.  I figured they must have gotten the letter and just ignored it.  Either way, they never mentioned the discharge attempt, and never treated me worse for it.  I know what happened though- when I prayed over that letter with Patrick for God's will to be done, it was.  I know that God caused that envelope to not reach its destination.  He had other plans for me.  More later.  

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your "more later." :) This is fun reminiscing - Dad and I were excited to see your passion but at the same time had reservations about some things. We certainly didn't want to get in God's way and will for you, but weren't quite sure how to counsel you... not that you asked. :)

    ReplyDelete