Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pray for Lucy

This is Russ. I just want to let you in on a little of what goes on in some of our students' lives.

On Friday Lucy, one of my students, came up to me after Bible class clearly shaken. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she wants to believe in Jesus, but her mother wants her to believe in what they believe in- which is a form of ancestor worship, close to Buddhism. I was quick to give Lucy the standard "no one can make you believe in anything" answer. I made sure she knew that just as I couldn't force her to believe in Jesus, her parents can't force her to believe in what they believe in. We also talked about how the Bible says to honor your father and mother, but that God is who you should honor first.

That was all well and good with her, but she was still upset. She said, "I know that, and I'm going to believe in Jesus. But, I'm afraid for my mom and dad because they don't believe in Jesus and I don't want them to go to hell."

I was floored. This is an issue that adults and more mature people deal with, not kids. Right? Wrong.

Sometimes I second guess my purpose for being here. Some days I try to teach them about loving Christ and how to live their lives and honor him, but seem to get nowhere. I still have students who give the standard Bible answer, but go on acting like little demons who don't care. But then Lucy shows me such maturity and such love, that it reaffirms my decision to come here, to be with these kids. Lucy and I talked more about her situation and decided that just like no one can force us to believe anything, we can't force her parents to believe in anything. But the good news is that there is a loving, faithful God who could soften the heart of a murderer on a whim. Lucy (in tears) and I decided that all we could do is tell them about Jesus and pray for them every day, and that maybe one day-possibly very far off- God will change their hearts and they will be delivered from the fate Lucy fears for them.

Man, I love my students. And I love my God. He has a purpose for Jess and I to be here in Korea, and He has a purpose for us in the future.

1 comment: